Thursday, November 24, 2011

How would you know if your car had remote central locking?

My friend has made this very complicated for me and because I am easily baffled I am not very baffled.





I had a BMW 3 series and after letting one of my friends borrow it for Christmas he accidentally crashed it and had it written off. When I purchased this car I was given 2 key remote key fobs.





2 months later I purchased the exact same car, same model, same reg, same year, same engine etc but this car only came with a normal key to open the doors manually.





What I want to know is can I use one of the key fobs for the car that was written off with my current car, as they are both the exact same cars?





This car has central locking (it is a 2 door). This current key fob I am talking about has no battery in it and I don't think it has been programmed at all. Thanks.|||Well if your talking about the remote access then possibly yes, but if your talking about the manual key then no way.





It's funny I have an brand new Audi A4 and one day I went to get some breakfast, parked next to the new Audi A8 (completely different models) and remotely locked my door. Funny enough the lights on the A8 started to flash. I then started to play around a bit further and found that I could open this strangers car doors and set off his panic alarm.





BMW is notorious for charging you for every little think so it'll cost you to reprogram your FOB.





Oh and BTW I'd stop loaning your car to friends. Period.|||you would have to find out if it has key less entry|||To put it simply, No!!|||Probably not.


Ja.|||I assume this is a BMW 3 series E36 coupe (1991-1998). Remote locking was optional, usually not fitted on 316 or 318 models.|||If you are having this much trouble working out how to lock / unlock the car...perhaps you shouldn't be driving.





Button thing make brain hurt.|||1st of all put a battery in the key you have.


it could well be the spare key that you have been given


and will certainly cost you a few quid to have it programmed


it's not essential to have this key working on the button or


certainly shouldn't be.


if you bought it from a dealer you should go back and ask for the original.


even offer to swap keys if they are reluctant to give you


said key.


personally i would have checked the key before buying the car and if it wasnt working i would demand a working key wheter from a dealer or private sale.


but we all have to make mistakes to learn from them!

No comments:

Post a Comment